Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Best Friend

I am lucky enough to have more than one close friend, but my best friend is my big brother.

His name is Tyler Duane Cook.

He has always been my hero, but he became everyone's hero in January when he joined the United States Army.


I am so proud of him but this has been the hardest few months of my life. I talk to him every day and we could only write letters to him the whole 9 weeks he was in Basic Training in Ft. Jackson, South Carolina and maybe a phone call every once in a while. I had more than one break down while he was gone just missing him more than I ever thought possible. I would reach for my phone at least once a day to text him and then remember that I couldn't and I would grow a little more depressed.

When it came time for graduation, we were so excited about being able to see him for two days. But he didn't pass his final P.T. test. We still got to see him but he couldn't graduate. So he was there for two more weeks before he passed it and then he went straight to AIT in Huntsville, Alabama. There, he could have his phone and his computer so we could talk to him but we still can't see him. Our family is very close and this has been a very trying time for us all.

I found out yesterday that he will graduate from AIT at the end of June and he will come home for the month of July. In August, he will leave for California for three or four months, be back for a month or two, and then leave in February (I think) for Afghanistan...FOR A YEAR!!!! I just can't believe it. We knew he was going to Afghanistan in February and we knew it would be for a year, but we thought he would be home from his graduation at the end of June and be home until he left...

It is going to be so hard to go that long without seeing him and talking to him. I'm pretty sure we will be able to talk to him while he is in California but we will only be able to talk to him every once in a while for the year he is in Afghanistan. I don't know how I am going to survive.

I love you, Tyler.

2 comments:

  1. He is a hero, but so are you and your family. He's putting his life in danger, but you're supporting him and sending him your love, always. Without you behind him, who knows if he could be doing what he is right now.

    All of you deserve a standing ovation.

    Love you and tell Tyler thank you.

    ReplyDelete