Thursday, September 9, 2010

I love Bible study!

So...a quick update on my previous entry. I didn't do as good today as I hoped I would, but I did all right. And I haven't lost my drive, I am just easing myself into it and I am still confident in my will power. Tomorrow will be even better than today! :)

All right, now for my actual entry to go along with the title. I started a Bible study with a friend of mine today. She lives ten minutes away from me and she has two small children, a little girl and a boy a month older than Gabriel. It is really a perfect setup because while we are doing our Bible study at her house, the kids can run around and play together and have fun. I have known Sherry for a very long time and I have always looked up to her for her strong faith. When I need some Christian advice or just to talk about something that I am dealing with in my faith, she is the one I go to.

The study is called The Invisible War: Everything you need to know about Satan, Demons, and Spiritual Warfare. It is the perfect study for what I have been dealing with lately. Everything we talked about today with the first lesson opened my eyes and made me look at everything differently. She knows a lot of the problems that Josh and I have been going through since we got married over three years ago, and they completely fit in. I'm not sure if there is a specific reason or if it is just because of how he is, but Satan wants my marriage to fail. He almost succeeded. But Sherry said something that really made me think. "Satan wants your marriage to fail, so you should be fighting for that most of all." All of these thoughts that I have been having within the last few months, are all Satan trying to bring me down.

The memory verse that we are learning this week is my new motto. It is my new favorite Bible verse and it is going to be my motivation and my strength.

Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of
his might. Put on the full armor of God, that you may be
able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
-Ephesians 6:10-11

No matter what Satan throws my way, the armor of God will protect me. I LOVE this verse.

I know that God's angels are all around, but there was a passage of scripture we read today that was so powerful to me. It is 2 Kings 6: 15-17. Elisha and his servant are surrounded by an army of men. The servant is terrified because they are so outnumbered but Elisha says, "Don't be afraid. Those who are with us are more than those who are with them." The servant is confused because there are only two of them so Elisha prays, "O Lord, open his eyes so he may see." The Lord opens his eyes and he looked around and saw...'the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.' That line right there just gives me chills. The servant couldn't see the mighty Heavenly army of angels on the hill but they were there nonetheless. God's angels are surrounding us so that we are never outnumbered against our foes...no matter what they are. That is a very comforting thought to me.

I can't wait until next week when we do the second lesson. I have already done my homework and read the passages that we just skimmed through during the lesson and wrote in my Bible journal. Today was just so wonderful! I know not all days are going to be like this, and I will really have to work to stay in the word and to go to Him instead of having pity parties, but I know I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment